Return to warmwell.com
Recommendations for African Horse Disease from the Draft EU Policy paper vaccine AND/OR DIAGNOSTIC BANKS for major animal diseases: strategic planning options FOR EMERGENCY situations or major crises
African horse sickness (AHS)
- A vaccine bank with live attenuated vaccines against serotypes 2, 4 and 9 of AHSV should be established. However, other serotypes, e.g. serotype 5, should be considered for future planning of vaccine banks.
- If one of the new prototypes of recombinant vaccines is licensed, it should be included in the vaccine bank as a priority.
- The vaccine bank should contain a minimum of 150.000 doses for each of the proposed serotypes.
- In addition, developing a working seed bank for all nine serotypes of the virus is recommended, to cover the first steps for developing an inactivated vaccine.
- The availability of a diagnostic bank with a suitable test is not an essential pre-requisite.
- After establishing the initial stock, continuous monitoring of the epidemiological situation of AHS in the countries geographically close to the EU is recommended, to identify serotypes which might become risks for EU livestock, and so adjust the development and procurement of vaccines against those serotypes.